This guide will walk you through proper installation and maintenance of the FlexHead® Polypropylene Ductwork Model.
Please view warnings and cautions before installation.
Installation should take approximately 10-20 minutes per head. (Not Including cure time.)
- Right Angle Drill
- 2” Metal Holesaw
- Safety Glasses
- 3/8” Drill
- 3/16” Metal Drill Bit
- Torque Wrench (1-50 inch-lb.)
- Particle Mask
- Vinyl Gloves
- Duct Tape
- Clean Rags
- Safety Face Shield
- Plastic Welding Torch and Accessories
- Polypropylene Welding Rod
Part I – Installation of Bottom Mounting Block
- FlexHead® Location
Determine desirable location for FLEXHEAD unit in ductwork. FLEXHEAD unit must be accessible for periodic inspection. For recommended guidelines and standards for protection systems in industrial exhaust systems see Factory Mutual loss prevention data sheets 7-78, article 2-4. Once desired location is determined drill a two-(2) inch hole in duct with the holesaw.
- Mounting Bottom Block
Place FlexHead® bottom mounting block on duct. Align 2” hole in ductwork with 2” hole on FLEXHEAD bottom block. With plastic welding torch ‘tack’ FlexHead® bottom mounting block on to ductwork on all four sides of block. Air weld FlexHead® bottom mounting block on to ductwork on all four sides following welding manufacturer’s guidelines and recommendations. (A minimum of three welds on each side of FLEXHEAD block is required.) For additional information call (800) 829-6975 or (978) 264-0822.
Part II – Installation of Top Mounting Block
- Connect FlexHead® to Sprinkler System
Connect one-(1) inch stainless steel flexible hose of FLEXHEAD to one-(1) inch black iron pipe union of fire protection system in accordance to NFPA standards, state and local codes.
- Installation of Bag and Gasket Assembly
Place FlexHead® gasket and dual polybag assembly onto previously installed bottom mounting block. Align gasket bolt hole pattern to mounting block bolts and guide dual polybags into 2” hole in block and ductwork. Gently press down on gasket until it is completely flat on top of mounting block.
- Connect Top Mounting Block
- Place top FLEXHEAD mounting block onto previously installed bottom mounting block with gasket. Make sure that sprinkler head section of the FLEXHEAD unit is inserted into two-(2) inch hole in duct, and that the four-(4) stainless steel bolts of bottom mounting block align with corresponding bolt holes in top mounting block. Angle of flexible hose should not exceed 90°.
- Place one-(1) stainless steel washer and one-(1) stainless steel nut onto each of the four-(4) stainless steel bolts. Tighten each of the nuts hand tight onto the block. Tightening process of nuts onto the mounting block should be done in a diagonal process to ensure equal distribution of pressure throughout the mounting block. Nuts should be tightened to 15 in.-lb. using a torque wrench. DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN NUTS ONTO BLOCK. Installation of FLEXHEAD is complete.
Maintenance and Inspection of Polypropylene Ductwork Model Sprinkler Head
- Once fire protection and exhaust system are inactive, proceed with inspection of FLEXHEAD unit.
- Remove the four-(4) stainless steel nuts and washers from top mounting block.
- Now lift top mounting block from bottom mounting block and bolts, by holding onto base area of stainless steel hose.
- Inspect sprinkler head section of FLEXHEAD. IF ANY DAMAGE EXISTS IN SPRINKLER HEAD, REPLACE HEAD AND GASKET BAG ASSEMBLY AT THIS TIME in accordance to NFPA regulations and guidelines. If no damage is visible to sprinkle head, remove existing gasket/dual polybag assembly and install new gasket/dual polybag assembly making sure gasket bolt holes align correctly with mounting block bolts and guide dual polybags into 2” hole in mounting block and ductwork. Gently press down onto gasket until it lies flat on top of mounting block. To order additional gasket/dual polybag assemblies call (800) 829-6975 or (978) 264-0822.
- Once inspection and maintenance of FLEXHEAD has been completed, reinsert top mounting block onto bottom block aligning corresponding sprinkler head and bolt holes.
- Replace the four-(4) stainless steel washers and nuts onto the four-(4) stainless steel bolts accordingly. Hand tighten each of the four-(4) nuts onto the block. The tightening sequence of nuts onto the mounting block should be done in a diagonal manner to ensure equal distribution of pressure throughout the mounting block. Nuts should be tightened to 15 in.-lb. using a torque wrench. DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN NUTS ONTO BLOCK. MAINTENANCE OF FLEXHEAD IS COMPLETE. (Same tightening process as in installation section).