FlexHead® Institutional Sprinkler Connection
For use with Cooler/Freezer Ceiling system 20XX-DPS-UHO1
The Dry Pendent System provides a flexible connection for cold storage and freezer applications. Below are the instructions on how to install one of these systems.
- Standard pipe wrench
- Safety glasses & proper PPE gloves
- Adjustable wrench
- Hand drill
- Teflon Tape
- 20XX-DPS (1qty)
- UHO-1 (1qty)
- FAB-LOK FASTENERS: 10-8 (EZJ120) W/ 1.612 PENTRATION TYP. (2qty)
- PENDENT SPRINKLER: (1qty)
- TY3235 FROM TYCO
- F3, F3QR, R5314, & R5714 FROM RELIABLE
- VK176 FROM VIKING
- GL5635 FROM GLOBE
Component #4 will not be provided by FlexHead®.
- Pre-drill pendent sprinkler hole and FabLok holes on ceiling/sidewall
- Drill 2 ¼ inch or 2 ½ inch hole per dry pendent ceiling specifications on insulated Ceiling (see fig 1 for recommended hole size and position).
- Drill (2) .312″ holes on 3.30 centered to dry pendent hole on insulated metal panel (Fig. 1)
- Assembly FlexHead® Holes, Dry pendent sprinkler, and open hub UHO-1
- Remove UHO-1, fab-lock, dry pendent, and Hose 20XX-DPS from FlexHead® box (Fig. 2)
- Apply Teflon tape on Pendent sprinkler male thread end and thread to FlexHead® female 1″ NPT hose “20XX-DPS”. (Fig. 3)
- Connect FlexHead® To Sprinkler Branch Line.
- Apply Teflon tape and pipe sealant to one inch (1″) male threaded end of FlexHead® per NFPA guidelines.
- With standard Pipe wrench, attach one inch (1″) male threaded end of FlexHead® to sprinkler pipe branch per NFPA, state and local code guidelines by using one (1″) inch rigid male pipe end of FlexHead® as a wrenching surface. Do not use welded or braided section of FlexHead® hose as a wrenching surface. Not intended to be installed in a vertical orientation with no bends. (Fig. 4)Do not use welded or braided hose section of FlexHead® sprinkler drop for wrenching surface.Flexible Sprinkler Hose Fittings are only to be installed with bends. Do not install without bends. (See attached Friction Loss Data information for maximum number of bends per hose length.)
- Mounting the FlexHead® #UHO-1 to Insulated Metal Panel (IMP).
- Open UHO-1 hub and place pendent sprinkler surface through center hole of hub and close hub by turning the lock shaft ¼ turn clockwise. Flanges on UHO-1 should be facing downward. (Fig. 5)
- Bend the FlexHead® hose assembly to hold the desired location. The FlexHead® has a seven inch (7″) minimum bend radius per FM guidelines. Do not over bend or torque the FlexHead® hose assembly.
- Insert Dry Pendent sprinkler head into prepared hole Insulated Metal Panel with FlexHead® clamp UHO-1 attached. Penetration through the ceiling or wall shall be acceptable by the authority having jurisdiction. (Fig. 6)
- Place clamp #UHO-1 over hole in wall and line up holes in attachment ears with previously drilled holes in the ceiling. Install two (2) Fab-Lok® Fasteners per manufacturer’s installation instructions until tight anchoring FlexHead® Clamp # UHO-1 to Insulated Metal Panel. (Fig. 7).
Do not fasten Fab-Loks if step 4A has not been completed yet.
- Adjust the sprinkler head to the desired position and orientation. Tighten the attachment bolt on FlexHead® Clamp #UHO-1 clockwise hand tight plus 1 turn (100-inch lbs) until tight on outlet fitting of FlexHead® Hose assembly. (Fig. 8)
- Sealing hole in freezer metal panel
- Add recommended spray sealing Foamed-in-place, Non-CFC & zero ODP polyurethane, Factory Mutual Class 1 approval to hole in metal panel or other optional sealers per NFPA 13 section 188.8.131.52 requirement to prevent cold air escaping from freezer.
- Optional rubber boot acceptable for use per manufacturer’s installation instruction, pipe flashing Retrofit Dektite part number 4029910.
- Complete Installation
- Test installation of sprinkler system for any leaks per NFPA guidelines.
- Install sprinkler escutcheon from below ceiling per manufacturers guidelines.
Note: Below shows template for drilling location/size for metal panel cutout. This is 100% true scale if printed on letter size (8.5″ X11″).